Friday, April 23, 2010
This pickle is very famous in Telangana region of Andhra pradesh . It has got different names such as 'Allam kaya' , 'Allam avakaya' ... . I truely love this pickle , love to have this with hot hot rice and a drop of ghee . This pickle is very easy to make and have a shelf life of 1 year.
- Take 1 big mango , wash it and dry it with paper towel.
- Chop mango into big pieces .
- Make ginger garlic paste .
- Heat a pan add 8 tbspns of oil and when hot add cumin and vaminta seeds ( they look like small mustard seeds and are very crunchy ) . Add ginger garlic paste and spread it with spoon and after a minute switch off stove . Let this cool.
- Add tadka to mango pieces and mix nicely.
- Take a bowl and mix salt , chilly powder , mustard powder and fenugreek powder.
- Add the spice mix to mango pieces and mix nicely.
- Cover it and put the bowl in a dry place for 48 hours .
- After 48 hrs the pickle looks like this , dont think it is full of oil it is the liquid from mango and we call it as 'voota' . Now with a dry spoon mix the pickle nicely .
- Transfer the contents to a glass jar or bottle.