Wednesday, May 20, 2009
This is one of my favourite snack items . Whenever i make dosa batter i divide them into half while grinding . One batch i will grind in a solid consistency and another in a bit liquid consistency. Solid consistency batter i use it for making either punugulu / gunta ponganalu (paniaram) and liquid consistency batter for making dosas. If u r in dieting and want to reduce deep frys then make guntaponganalu otherwise enjoy punugulu .
- Wash & soak 1/2 cup urad dal and 1 cup raw rice together in sufficient water for 6 hrs .
- After 6hrs has completed drain water and grind it to a solid consistency almost like vada batter consistency. In last round of grinding add 1 tspn salt . Better to use mixcy for grinding since it is a small amount. Add very little water while grinding.
- Ferment this batter overnight .
- If u want to have this for evening snack it would be better to soak rice & dal before night and in the morning grind them and allow to ferment atleast 8 hrs and by evening ur batter will be ready to make punugulu .
- Just before making punugulu add 1 finely chopped onion , 1/2 tspn chilly powder / green chillies , finely chopped coriander sprigs , finely chopped curry leaves , 1/2 tspn cumin seeds , pinch of soda , adjust salt .
- Heat oil in a pan sufficient for deep frying . When oil is hot start making punugulu with hand , dropping small lumps of batter slowly. Fry them nicely till u see lite golden brown shade and takeout into a paper towel .
- Enjoy it with karrapodi & ghee or with coconut/peanut chutney.
Labels: CHAT / SNACKS