Thursday, March 19, 2009
- Before starting the cooking process soak few threads of saffron in 1/4 cup of warm milk .
- Take 250 -300 gms of boneless chicken ( i prefer thigh piece) . Wash it and drain the water completely .
- To this chicken pieces add 6 slitted green chillies , half a hand ful of mint leaves , half a hand ful of coriander leaves , 1&1/2 tspn ginger garlic paste , 1/4 tspn freshly grounded pepper powder , 1/2 tspn shajeera(black cumin) , 1/4 tspn chilly powder , 1/4 tspn turmeric , 1 tspn salt , 1/4 tspn cumin powder , 1 tspn coriander powder , 2 bay leaves , 2 star anise , few pieces of mace , pinch of nut mug powder , 4 lightly crushed cardamoms , 4 cloves , 2" cinnamon stick , add 1/2 tspn of store brought chicken biryani masala or home made masala powder . Mix them all nicely . Now add 2 tbspns of oil , fried onions , 1 cup of beaten curd and squeeze juice of1/2 a big lemon . Mix all nicely.
- Marinate this for 24 hrs by storing this in refrigerator . If u dont have time marinate atleast an hour before u start cooking.
- Soak 250 gms /2 electric rice cooker cups of basmati rice in sufficient water for 30 mins .
- Take a big vessel with 8 rice cooker cups of water . To this water add 2 tspns salt , 2 tspns oil , 3 cloves , 3 lightly crushed cardamom , 1"cinnamon stick , 1 bay leaf, 1/4 tspn shajeera, few sprigs of coriander and mint leaves. Bring this to boil.
- When water is boiling add strained rice and cook for 5 mins till rice is 3/4 done.
- Strain boiled rice .
Cooking Biryani In Dum Style :-
Dum is a process of cooking meat and rice in low flame for more time such that the essence of meat and spices infuses in rice which is lying on top layer which makes rice to cook perfectly with that vapour. The important thing in this dum process which we need to do is to arrest the vapours from going out by sealing the lid tightly with a dough or kitchen towel.
- Now take a pressure cooker and grease the bottom & sides with a tspn of ghee . Add in the chicken marination and spread evenly .
- On top of chicken add cooked rice and spread evenly .
- On top of rice sprinkle few mint leaves , coriander leaves and handful of fried onions.
- Pour saffron soaked milk allover . Sprinkle 2 tspns of oil on top or u can use cooking oil spray.
- Now put a tight lid , if u are not having a tight lid wrap a wet clean kitchen towel around the lid tightly or put the dough allover the lid corner and put this lid on cooker. I had a perfect nonstick lid that was tight on my cooker , so i just kept a dough on the hole of the lid to arrest vapour from going out.
- Now switch on ur stove put flame in medium high for 5 mins , next reduce it to medium low for 15 mins and next reduce it to sim for 5 mins . Switch off stove . Another method of knowing that biyani is done is by the smell . Once it is done it flavours out nice biryani smell then u can switch off stove .
- After 5 mins of standby takeout the lid and mix nicely from bottom . some people dont like to mix everything , they want curry at the bottom and rice on top as it is . so just serve them as it is without mixing.
- Serve hot with hyderabadi special mirchi ka salan and raitha. Enjoy ur hyderabadi meal.
Note:- U can even use chicken with bones . Marinade everything in same process , cook rice in same process . Before layering take a thick bottom vessel /pan grease it with ghee , add chicken marinade and cook on high heat for 5 mins . While it is cooking, on top add half cooked rice , saffron, coriander-mint leaves , fried onions and start sealing. u can seal with aluminium foil. On other stove put a dosa pan (a flat pan ) and heat it . Once dosa pan is heated put this layered pan on dosa pan and reduce heat to medium low cook for 30 -35 mins .
Cooking chicken biryani in oven:-
Alternatively u can use chicken with bones / drumsticks and cook in conventional oven . For this take a oven proof dish or aluminium tray , grease it with oil , layer chicken , rice , sprinkle ghee /oil , fried onions , coriander mint leaves , saffron milk, . Now seal it with aluminium foil and cook in preheated oven @ 400 degree F for 30 mins and reduce heat to 300 degree F and cook for an hour . switchoff oven and after 10 mins of standby u can takeout tray from oven and serve hot .
Labels: CHICKEN RECIPES