Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Posted by MY WORLD OF RECIPES at 12:50 PM
- Heat a pan add 2 tspns oil and fry 2 tbspns menthulu / fenugreek seeds , 4tbspns chana dal / bengal gram , 4tbspns urad dal , 2 tspns each cumin seeds , mustard seeds and coriander seeds , approxi 14 dry red chillies .
- Grind them to a powder when they get cool .
- Store this in a airthight container . U can use this for 2 -3 months . Better to store in fridge.
- U can use this powder for preparing brinjal curry , capsicum curry , ridgegourd , tindora , etc,.
Preparing vankaya menthi podi kura :-
- For this preparation u can use either round brinjals or long brinjals . wash them and chop them into big pieces ( not too big / too small). this time i used 2 long brinjals .
- Soak small lemon size tamarind in water or microwave them for 1 min and extract the juice .
- Take a wide mouth pan add tamarind extract , sufficient salt , turmeric , chopped brinjal pieces. boil this nicely . Put ur flame in medium high so that water in tamarind extract evaporates and brinjal cooks in that tamarind juice . So finally u should make it dry .
- Take them into a bowl . Wipe off the pan with paper towel .
- Heat the same pan add 2 tbspns oil , do seasoning by adding 1tspn urad dal , 1 tspn chana dal , 1/2 tspn cumin seeds, 1/2 tspn mustard seeds , 2 dry red chillies , sprinkle asafoetida , curry leaves .
- Now add boiled brinjal pieces . stir them nicely and carefully so that they dont mash .
- Add sufficient salt ( dont forget we already added while boiling brinjals ,so adjust salt). Add 2 tbspns menthi podi . Fry for 5 mins and switchoff the stove .
- Serve hot with rice and ghee . I saw heaven in front of me while eating this curry in hot rice . This dish will make u know the essence of Andhra .