Wednesday, January 7, 2009
From my childhood i dislike few vegetables like bottlegourd , ridgegourd , snake gourd, carrot , radish ,etc,. If i tell like that it will become a big list . But when i started cooking i understood one thing i.e, we can eat any vegetable when it is cooked according to our taste . So the problem is not with the vegetable but the way of cooking . Recently i tried radish chutney , it cameout very well . No one recognized that it is made up of radish . same is the case with carrot . My sis made a carrot fry from which i became a fan of carrot . So ending my experiences i made this bottlegourd barthan according to my taste and i liked it . The reason behind making this as bharthan is i cant eat bottlegourd if i see it as pieces , so i made it as bharthan. Anyway try this recipe , hope u like it.
- Take 1/2 of medium size bottlegourd . Peelout its skin . Chop into small pieces . Finely chop 1 medium onion , 6 small green chillies.
- Take a steel bowl in that add chopped bottle gourd , onion , greenchillies , to this add small lemon size tamarind , 1 tspn salt , 1/4tspn turmeric , little amount of water . Put this bowl in cooker and boil it for 5 whistles .
- After pressure goes off takeout the bowl and mash it nicely using a masher.
- Heat a pan add 2 tbspns oil , add 4 broken dry red chillies , 1/4 tspn urad dal , 2 crushed garlic pods , 1/4 tspn cumin seeds , 1/4 tspn mustard seeds , few curry leaves .
- Now add mashed bottlegourd mixture and coriander leaves .
- Fry till curry becomes thick and dry .
- Serve hot with rice .