Monday, November 3, 2008
From long time i am planning to post this recipe , but dont know y it has taken so many days and months to post this , perhaps this needs step by step explanation combining my experiences to get soft and fluffy rotis. Any way starting u may fail for few attempts in getting good rotis but as u do daily u will teach me how to get more better ones . I mean experiences makes everything to get perfect. Hummmmm after coming to US am unable to switch to old method of making rotis ( rolling and all) . Now i feel how easy to make rotis on a roti maker . Any way i miss my rotimaker . Once u get accoustomed to this rotis u cant eat normal pulkas (just kidding) . I used "Chef Master " company rotimaker . In India it will be around 1800/- . I purchased it in a dussera sale and i got it for 1300/- ( hahahaaaaa good deal kada)
- Take wheat flour in a bowl as much as u need .
- To this add salt and mix it . Next add little amount of water and mix . Next add 2 -3 tbspns of curd . Mix well. ( Adding curd will give extra softness to rotis , if u dont have curd u can add milk )
- Remaining add water and make as dough , dont make like usual dough . Rotis on roti maker always needs little more water than usual . Ur dough should be little loose in such a way that if u try rolling it will stick , that much loose it requires . Finally add 1 tspn oil and make as dough . For this u dont need to knead it till ur muscles are out . Just simply make dough and put aside . Cover it with lid or cloth .
- Put ur dough aside for 1 hr .
- After 1 hr switch ON ur roti maker . Before switching ON open the lid of roti maker then u can ON the switch . A red bulb will be on . u can start doing rotis once that bulb is off . It takes nearly 5-10 mins . In this mean time u can do balls . If u r doing in large quantities then first make balls and after finshing only ON roti maker.
- In mean time take 1 drop of oil and smear it to ur hands . Now take a small ball size dough and make as balls and press them flat . Next for making 2nd ball again smear 1 drop of oil to ur hands and repeat doing balls . smearing oil to hands ensures u from sticking . Since dough will be loose it will stick .
- Dont do big size balls .
- By the time u finish doing balls red light will get off . It ensures that rotimaker is ready to do rotis . I mean it has got sufficient heat .
- Now take 1 ball , make it little flat with hands and put it near to the lid . Do not put it at the center . Just see my pic for better understanding.
- Immediately close the lid and gently press it for once and open the lid ( dont press it 2 or 3 times like puri presser , once is enough) . Dont put more strength and press it . It will give u a pop sound . It means inside ur roti is broken and it wont come fluffy (pongadu).
- After 2 mins of opening the lid u will see small small bubbles coming (bubbles should be like little lessthan in my pic) , after 1 min just reverse the roti (use either wooden spatula or nonstick spatula , dont use steel).
- Now hold the lid on top where u get plastic body and slowly try to close the lid till 3/4 th not completely and hold for few secs and open again. This will give good heating . Turn the direction of roti (not reversing ) and again close the lid 3/4th. Open immediately after 1/2 min. By this time u will see ur fluffy roti coming out .
- Take that roti out and serve hot with any dish.
- My explanation may be too lengthy but if u do regularly u will not feel it as a big work . I am sure if u do regularly u will get soft and fluffy rotis and u will feel how easy to do rotis , no hard kneading , no rolling , no need to stand before hot stove . u can make 1 roti in 1 minute .
- when we were in chennai i felt doing rotis manually is a difficult task in hot weather where i used to get full sweat by the time i complete doing rotis on stove . At that time i preffered buying rotimaker . Really i thank my rotimaker which served us soft rotis daily with no difficulty.
- Disadvantages of roti maker :- Roti maker has disadvantages also . U cant eat rotis after 2-3 hrs of doing rotis . They will turn hard . So u should consume immediately when they r hot or lessthan an hour of doing rotis . Next disadvantage is if u have extra dough u cant store it in freeze and do it next day . It wont come out fluffy and soft . So , u should mix exact flour as u need .
- If u have any doubts u can write it as a comment.
This is not my video . I saw this in youtube and thought of showing u how fluffy rotis come out .
- Click on the link below for videos of roti , paratha , bread , papad , dosa , omlette making using a roti maker.