Thursday, October 30, 2008
Whenever there are left over idlies of the morning breakfast , my grany used to do this upma in the evenings . We used to call it as idly upma ( coz upma is made out of idlies ) . But she wont add pappulapodi . She used to do like normal upma and finally sprinkle enough lemon juice and endsup . But i saw adding pappulapodi in this recipe in my frds blog http://amma-cheppindi.blogspot.com/2006/12/idli-twists.html and thought of trying this . Anyway it was fantastic and almost similar to my grany's taste.
- Take leftover idlies and crush them with hand .
- First we need to prepare pappulapodi . For that we need roasted bengal gram (putnalu) , garlic pods , dry red chillies or red chilly powder , salt and cumin seeds /cumin powder. If u r using dry red chillies , slightly roast them . Grind all the ingredients into a fine powder.( Add enough salt and chilly powder hereitself that the complete upma needs)
- Heat a pan add oil , do seasoning by adding urad dal , dry red chillies , chana dal , cumin seeds , mustard seeds , pinch of hing / asafoetida , few sprigs of curry leaves .
- After that add chopped onions . Fry them nicely . Add enough turmeric and little salt .
- When onion is fried add crushed idly powder and mix nicely .
- Now add pappulapodi . Mix nicely .
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves . When it turns hot u can switchoff stove.
- Squeeze enough lemon juice , mix well and serve hot .
Labels: BREAK FAST