Wednesday, October 29, 2008
This is one of the traditional telangana dishes . It is also known as ' dosakaya kalchina pachadi' . This dish is prepared by burning yellow cucumber directly on fire . The process of burning vegetable directly on fire and doing chutney with that is called as bajji . Not only with cucumber , this can also be done with Brinjal( i will post vankaya bajji pachadi later). In previous days people used to burn this cucumber in Kumpati . As soon as they complete breakfast section in morning they will turn off the flame . In that hot ashes they will drop cucumber and slowly it will burn and becomes black.
- Soak 1 blueberry size tamarind in enough water.
- Take 1 medium sized yellow cucumber , wash it and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Take few drops of oil and smear it allover the cucumber with hands and put this on medium flame .
- Turn it now and then . Adjust the flame according to its burning time.
- It starts turning black like this .
- Finally it should turn full black and test whether it is cooked inside or not by piercing a knife in it , it should go easily. Anyway it takes nearly 20-25 mins for the process of burning .
- Once it is cooked switchoff stove and take that cucumber in a plate . When it is cooled takeout its skin . It will come easily . If not peel it with knife .
- Chop cucumber into pieces .
- Heat a pan add 1/2 tspn oil , fry 6 green chillies and 1/2 tspn cumin seeds and switchoff .
- Grind together fried chillies , 2 garlic pods ( if u r using US garlic use only 1) , 2" size coconut piece chopped into pieces.
- In next round add chopped cucumber , finely chopped coriander leaves , soaked tamarind , 1 tspn salt and pinch of turmeric. Grind only a sec . It should not become mushy .
- Take ur grinded chutney into a bowl .
- Heat ur used pan , add 1 tbspn oil , do seasoning by adding 1/4 tspn urad dal , 2 dry red chillies , 1/4 tspn cumin seeds , 1/4 tspn mustard seeds , 2 crushed garlic pods , sprinkle little asafoetida and next add 2 strigs of curry leaves. Switchoff stove and add this seasoning to chutney and mix nicely.
- Serve this chutney with hot rice and ghee.