Thursday, October 22, 2009
Produces : 8 Naans
Maida/All purpose flour : 2 cups
Salt : 1tspn
water : 1/2cup
Yeast : 1tspn
Curd / plain yogurt : 2Tbspns
Garlic : 3 pods (to make garlic naan)
Butter : For basting
- Take 2 cups of flour in a big bowl. To this add salt and mix together.
- Take 1/2 cup of water and warm it in microwave for 30 sec. To this warm water add 1tspn dry yeast and 1tspn sugar. Mix them and put lid . Put it aside for 10 mins till it froths.
- In that frothed water add 2tbspns of curd and break 1 egg and whisk it nicely till u see full bubbles.
- In flour add 4tspns oil and mix it nicely till oil is incorporated into flour uniformly.
- To this flour slowly add yeast mixture and mix till it forms a sticky dough.
- Cover this bowl with a wet cloth and put in a warm place like oven for 2hrs . It will double the quantity . Takeout the bowl , mix everything again by litely adding oil to ur palm , cover again with wet cloth and put it back in warm place for 2 hrs. Again it will raise the flour quantity in this 2 hrs.
- Take the bowl out and again mix it with oily hand and divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
- Take a flouring board and add liitle dry maida on it . Take 1 portion of the dough and litely roll it on the dry maida . With a rolling pin roll the naan into oval shape , u can dust it litely with the dry flour . Dont roll it too thin it will get crisp.
- Put them on a baking sheet (baking tray) .
- Preheat oven to the maximum temperature available . My oven's max temp is 500 degree F . Once it is preheated Put this tray near to the filament if yours is electric oven , ours is gas oven and flame comes at the bottom. So if yours is gas oven put the trays in bottom rack. First batch of naan takes 10 mins to bake but after that oven will be in high heat so next batches take less than 4 mins. In hotels naans are baked in tandoors @ 800 degree F but our residential ovens has maximum temerature of 500 or 550 degree F . So in tandoor they take 1 minute to fry and in our ovens it takes 3 mins . Dont bake it for more time they will turn hard . Just bake till u see bubbles and lite golden colour .
- Once they are done take them out and brush them with melted butter. (Dont use butter stick directly, it gives some kind of smell . Better melt it and then brush it)
- Serve hot hot home made yummy yummy butter naans with your choice of gravy.
Garlic Naan :-
- Chop garlic pods finely . After rolling the naan , sprinkle garlic all over and pat it with palm so they sit in the naan . Bake them like before and apply melted butter and serve hot .
- In same way u can sprinkle kalonji (nigella ) , sesemam seeds , cumin seeds .
Labels: Roti Varities