Thursday, May 28, 2009
Black-eyed peas or cow peas in English, also known as Bobbarlu or alasandalu in Telugu.
- Soak 1 electric rice cooker cup of black eyed beans in sufficient water for 8 hrs . After the time lapse cook the beans in same water in pressure cooker for 2 whistles .
- In mean time chop 1 big onion , 1 tomato and few coriander leaves.
- Microwave blueberry size tamarind in sufficient water for a minute.
- Heat a pan add 1/2 tspn oil . Fry onions till transparent . Add 1/2 tspn ginger garlic paste and fry for a second. Now add chopped tomato and mix nicely . Add 1 tspn tomato paste. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy and then switchoff stove . Let this cool , then grind this mixture to a fine paste . If necessary add little amount of water while grinding.
- Now takeout black eyed beans from cooker and strain the water. Do not throw the water .
- Take a paper towel and wipe the pan that u used for frying onion-tomato.
- Heat the same pan add 2 tbspns oil , when hot add 3 litely crushed cardamoms , 3 cloves , 2" cinnamon stick and a bay leaf.
- Add grinded onion tomato paste and fry for a while.
- Now add strained black eyed peas and mix nicely . Fry for 5 mins.
- Add 1/2 tspn chilly powder , 1/2 tspn salt or adjust according to ur taste, 1/4 tspn coriander powder , pinch of garam masala powder and pinch of turmeric. Mix all nicely and fry for 5 mins .
- Next add tamarind juice and add required strained water of beans .
- Let this boil nicely for 10-15 mins . Cook covered.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and mix nicely. Switch off stove and serve it with rotis/ naan / pulkha. Serve it along with lemon wedges . This dish tastes yummy with a twist of lemon juice .
Labels: MASALA GRAVY