Friday, October 17, 2008
Mokkajonna garelu ( corn vada ) are our favourite and one of the traditional dishes of Andhra . In corn season in all most all the houses andhrites make this dish as breakfast or snack item . In my inlaws house they will do twice or thrice a week . There r two different varities we can do with corn . One is spicy corn vada (karam garelu) and other is sweet corn vada ( theepi garelu). First i will show u how to prepare spicy corn vada .
SPICY CORN VADA :-
- Take normal Indian corn cobs . Takeout its skin . It is prefered to use aged corn than young and tender. (muduru kankulu use cheyali . Lethavi use cheyakudadhu.)
- peelout seeds from cobs . It is a big job . Small tip is first break the cob into 2 horizontal halves . In each half takeout seeds from one single line . so that it becomes easy to peel out the whole cob.
- Now grind together corn seeds , dry red chillies (accord to ur taste) , salt and cumin seeds . Dont grind it like a paste . It should be litely crushed ( baraka barakaga undali).
- In the grinded paste add finely chopped onions , coriander leaves , curry leaves .Mix all nicely and prepare it as a dough.
- Heat oil enough for deepfrying .
- Take a cotton cloth and take a small ball of dough and gently press it on cloth so as to make a corn patti . Put a hole in center .
- When oil is hot just drop that corn vada in oil . (slowly drop it). U can fry them in batches .
- When it turns golden brown u can take out into a kitchen towel . So that it absorbs oil from vada .
- Now enjoy ur delicious hot hot corn vada .
Sweet Corn vada ( Theepi garelu) :-
- Just like above process u should separate the seeds from corn cobs .
- Grind together corn seeds and jaggery . Ratio is , for 1/4kg of seeds we need to take 1/4kg of jaggery . For this dish also we need to use aged corn than tender . If we use tender corn and grind along with jaggery the dough will be juicy not a thick one , so we can not make vadas.
- Same like above process make vadas with hands on a cloth and drop them in hot oil .
- Fry them nicely till golden brown .
- Enjoy ur hot hot sweet corn vadas.
Labels: BREAK FAST