Friday, October 16, 2009
Ingredients for cooking rice:-
Raw rice : 2 rice cooker cups (sona masoori)
Water : 4 cups
Turmeric : 1/4tspn
oil : 1tspn
Ingredients for making pulusu:-
Tamarind : 2 lemon size balls
oil : 1tbspn
cumin seeds : 1/4 tspn
Dry red chilly :1
Green chillies :2 (slit vertically)
Asafoetida : 1/8tspn
Curry leaves : 1 sprig
Fenugreek powder (menthi podi) : 1/4tspn
Cumin powder (jeelakarra podi) :1/4tspn
Turmeric : 1/8tspn
Mustard powder : 1/2 tspn
Ingredients for Talimpu / Tadka :-
Oil : 1&1/2 tbspn
Urad dal : 1tbspn
Dry red chillies :2
Peanuts : 3tbspns
Bengal gram /chana dal : 2tbspns
Cumin seeds : 1/4tspn
Mustard seeds : 1/4tspn
Green chillies : 4 (slit vertically)
Asafoetida : 1/8tspn
Curry leaves : 2 sprigs
- Cooking Rice :-
- Wash 2 cups of rice , add double the water and soak it for atleast 15 mins . Then add 1/4tspn turmeric and 1tspn oil and cook the rice . Once rice is cooked cool it on a wide plate .
- Extracting tamarind juice :-
- Take 2 lemon size tamarind balls in a microwave bowl , add some water till they immerse and microwave for 2 mins. Let this cool. Once it is cooled extract the thick juice from it.
- Making Pulusu :-
- Heat a shallow frying pan , add 1tbspn oil and when hot add 1/4tspn cumin seeds and 1 broken dry red chilliy , 2 green chillies , add asafoetida and curry leaves .
- Next add tamarind extract.
- Add 2tspns salt , 1/8tspn turmeric , Fenugreek powder , cumin powder .
- let this boil for 15- 20 mins till it thickens. Then switchoff stove and add freshly grounded mustard powder. Let this cool.
- Making Talimpu /Tadka :- Take another pan and heat it . Add 1&1/2 tbspns oil and when hot add urad dal , dry red chillies , peanuts and chana dal . When urad dal turns lite golden colour add cumin seeds , mustard seeds and green chillies . When green chillies are nicely fried then add curry leaves and asafoetida . Switch off stove.
- Mixing :- In cooled rice add talimpu/tadka and pulusu ( thick tamarind juice) . Mix them all well . Put it aside for atleast 2 hrs and then it is ready to serve.
- Serving :-Yummy yummy pulihora is ready to serve . U can serve it with onion or with curd and appadam. But usually it is eaten plain.
Labels: RICE DISHES