Thursday, September 24, 2009
Serves : 1 Adult
Red & ripe plum tomatoes : 2(medium size)
Tamarind : blue berry size
Rice : 1 rice cooker cup (160ml cup)
salt : 1tspn
oil : 2 tspns
Ingredients for Talimpu:-
oil :1 tbspn
Peanuts : 2 tbspns
urad dal : 1 tspn
Chana dal : 1tbspn
Dry red chilly : 1
cumin seeds : 1/2 tspn
Mustard seeds : 1/2tspn
Asafoetida : 1/8tspn
Fenugreek powder :1/8tspn
Curry leaves : few
Green chillies : 3
- Take rice wash it and pour double the quantity of water and let it soak for 10-15 mins and then cook rice . After cooking cool it .
- Chop tomatoes & green chillies.
- Heat a shallow/deep frying pan add 2tspns oil and when hot add tomatoes and tamarind . Add 1 tspn salt and mix nicely . Cook covered till mushy . Then takeout the lid and increase the flame and mix continously for 2 mins so that water from tomatoes will evaporate .
- Switchoff stove and transfer it to another container . Let this cool.
- Take a paper towel and wipe off the pan neatly and switch it on again . Add 1 tbspn oil and make talimpu by adding urad dal , chana dal , peanuts and dry red chilly . Once they start turning golden colour add cumin ,mustard , asafoetida , methi powder , green chillies . Once green chillies are fried add curry leaves and switchoff stove.
- Grind tomato tamarind mixture to a fine paste.
- In cooked rice add grinded tomato paste and mix nicely.
- Add talimpu to the rice and mix nicely .
- Let this sit for atleast 15 mins before serving .
- Serve this with papad or veggie straws or fryams.
- For me this is a good lunch box idea.
- NOTE:- U can make tomato tamarind paste in large quantity and u can store it for 2 months in refrigerator. When ever u want to prepare this tomato pulihora u can cook rice ,cool it , add sufficient paste , make talimpu and add . Mix all and tomato pulihora is ready to eat . But if u want to store like this u should take enough care while preparing . U should add sufficient salt .
Labels: RICE DISHES